Full-time Lab Coordinator – Latino family program
The full-time lab coordinator will participate in all aspects of the project, which aims to evaluate the effectiveness of a family program called Food For Thought. Participants in the program include Latino kindergarten children and their parents. All children are Spanish/English bilingual growing up in low-income households. Opportunities to collaborate in journal publications are available.
The lab coordinator will work under the supervision of Dr. Diana Leyva at Davidson College, NC. The successful candidate will have frequent contact with school principals, teachers, parents and their children in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg school district (NC), as well as senior thesis students, and research assistants at Davidson College. Targeted start date is July 15, 2018.
For more information about the Food for Thought program see:
75% of work will take place on Charlotte-Mecklenburg elementary schools, and 25% of work will take place in the lab at Davidson College. Charlotte does not have a good public transportation system. Therefore, the successful candidate should have a car and a driver’s license (or be willing to get a car). Benefits and compensation for mileage are part of the salary package.
Primary responsibilities include:
– Assessing children’s math and literacy skills
– Coordinating participant recruitment in schools
– Communicating with school principals, teachers and parents
– Implementing the family program in schools
– Mentoring undergraduate research assistants
– Setting up and maintaining operations of the project through general administrative duties
– Data entry and analysis
– Bachelor’s degree
– Fluent in Spanish (speak, read and write)
– Demonstrated interest in working with the community (school principals, teachers, children and/or parents)
– Strong organization skills
– Excellent communication skills with children and families, as well as school principals and teachers
– Be able to get tasks done efficiently
– Be detail-oriented, motivated, creative, organized, and able to work independently
– Experience with R, stata or spss (desired, but not required)
This is a three-year full-time appointment but commitment for only 1 or 2 years is also possible. Please apply by emailing Dr. Leyva (email@example.com). Include a cover letter describing your research experiences and career goals (max 2 pages), resume, and contact information for three references. For more information, please email Dr. Diana Leyva (firstname.lastname@example.org). Applications will be reviewed beginning on May 10, 2018.
Davidson College is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by law.