Part-time Position: Project Assistant / Parent-Child Specialist (Harlem, New York, NY)
NYU School of Medicine Department of Pediatrics – Video Interaction Project
We are seeking a part-time Spanish-English bilingual parent-child specialist to work for a parent intervention program and related behavioral research projects in the Department of Pediatrics at New York University School of Medicine. This program is designed to improve child development outcomes in at-risk populations and is being administered in the context of a randomized controlled trial at NYC Health+Hospitals/Bellevue (Kips Bay, New York, NY) and a clinical program at NYC H+H/Woodhull (Brooklyn, NY), Children’s Aid Society (Harlem, New York, NY), and other sites in NYC to be determined. The current position will likely be primarily based at the Children’s Aid Society Dunlevy Milbank Center.
About the position:
The parent-child specialist will administer a behavioral parenting program designed to improve child development outcomes in at-risk populations. The program is a relationship-based intervention with parents and their children (birth-5) that takes place in the pediatric clinic, is offered for free to low-income parents, and at some sites is being studied as part of a research program.
- Providing the parenting intervention program (Video Interaction Project) to parents of infants and young children, which involves:
- Meeting with parents and children & providing structured guidance about child development
- Providing structured tips to parents about reading, playing, and interacting with their child
- Videotaping the parent and child playing together, then providing feedback and positive reinforcement to the parent about this video
- Maintaining records of family participation in the program
- Building rapport with families, including coordinating with parents and tracking/scheduling upcoming program visits
- Overseeing operational aspects of the parenting program
- Assistance with tasks related to the research study, including recruiting families, consenting families, and collecting participant data
- Collaboration with multidisciplinary team of research and clinical staff
- Assistance with other operational aspects of the parenting program
- Fluency in both English and Spanish
- Bachelor’s Degree in child development, child life, infancy, special education, family processes, maternal and child health, or related field
- Previous experience working with children and parents in educational, hospital or mental health settings
- Previous research experience
- Previous experience using databases; proficiency with Microsoft Excel, SPSS, REDCap, or other similar programs
Schedule and location:
- Tentative schedule will be 9 – 2pm on Mondays and Wednesdays (subject to change). Must have full availability during those times.
- Position will primarily be based at the Children’s Aid Society Dunlevy Milbank Center in Harlem, NY, with some travel required to other sites within NYC
This is a full time position with benefits. A verbal 1- to 2-year commitment is required. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If you are interested, please submit a CV/resume and cover letter to Yuliya Gurevich (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please write “Part-Time Parent-Child Specialist” in the subject line and indicate your level of Spanish fluency in the cover letter.